In the world of travel, security check points are easily one of the top areas of annoyance for many. It’s one of those evitable love hate relationships, can’t live with them but can’t live without them. There are many ways one can ease the inconveniences of this necessary ritual, such as arriving early, packing light, having electronics easily accessible and of course following directions with an oh so pleasant demeanor. However, inconveniences are bound to happen sooner or later. This is the nature of travel.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has a difficult job and has struggled with a poor reputation for many years. The TSA, in an effort to improve efficiency and move away from a one size fits all type of surveillance, launched TSA Pre✓® in October of 2011. TSA Pre✓® is one of four Department of Homeland Security’s Trusted Traveler Programs. In order to participate in the program you must meet eligibility requirements and complete an application process. Outlined below are the main highlights of the program to help you determine if it is right for you. You may also want to take into consideration how often you travel and your typical travel companions.
- U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- No convictions for certain crimes and other offenses
- Submit an application and complete an in-person visit at an application center
- Pay a nonrefundable $85 fee per application
- Provide original or certified copies of identity and citizenship status documents
- Successful enrollees receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) valid for 5 years, indicating TSA Pre✓® privileges
- Applies to most domestic and international travel when the KTN is provided while making a reservation on the following airlines : Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Virgin America
- Usually shorter and faster moving lines
- No removal of belt, shoes, light jacket, 3-1-1 compliant bag and laptop from carry-on
- Also includes your children under 12 traveling with you
Are you a part of the TSA Pre✓® or another Trusted Traveler Program? What has been your experience?